OFS-USA National Priority 2018-2021
Secular Franciscans live the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ in fraternal communion. We have a specific way of being in the world, and a specific way of being together. This fraternal communion is a constitutive element of our vocation.
“Fidelity to their own charism, Franciscan and secular, and the witness of building fraternity sincerely and openly are their principal services to the Church, which is the community of love. They should be recognized in it by their ‘being’ from which their mission springs.” (General Constitutions, Art. 100.3)
“May the fraternal bonds of community always be our help, so that we may reach the goal of perfect Christian love.” — from the Secular Franciscan Rite of Profession to the Gospel Life
A selection from our Rule of Life:
Requests for admission to the Secular Franciscan Order must be presented to the local fraternity, whose council decides upon the acceptance of new brothers and sisters.
Admission into the Order is gradually attained through a time of initiation, a period of formation of at least one year, and profession of the rule. The entire community is engaged in the process of growth by its own manner of living. The age for profession and the distinctive Franciscan sign are regulated by the statutes.
Profession by its nature is a permanent commitment.
Members who find themselves in particular difficulties should discuss their problems with the council in fraternal dialogue. Withdrawal or permanent dismissal from the Order, if necessary, is an act of the fraternity council according to the norm of the constitutions.
- The Rule of the Secular Franciscan Order
- The General Constitutions of the Secular Franciscan Order (2000)
- Statutes of the National Fraternity of the Secular Franciscan Order in the United States of America
- Ritual of the Secular Franciscan Order
- For Up to Now: Foundational Topics for Initial Formation (FUN Manual)
- 2017 General Chapter Conclusions
- Statutes for Spiritual and Pastoral Assistance – 2009