Bishop William Michael Mulvey prepared the way for the 2019 National Chapter meeting by celebrating Mass at the Jesus Christ Our Peace Chapel in Corpus Christi on Tuesday, Oct. 15.
The meeting, which will continue through Saturday night at the Pax Christ Liturgical Retreat Center, will include approval of the 2020 budget, a keynote on the state of the order by National Minister Jan Parker, group discussions, presentations, a service project, and the announcement of the JPIC award.
The meetings began Tuesday as Cherryle Fruge, OFS, Minister of St. Joan of Arc Region, and Claudia Kauzlarich, OFS, National Treasurer, facilitated the orientation of the new Regional Ministers in preparation for the official opening of the Chapter on Wednesday morning, October 16th.
Each year at our National Chapter, the Regional Ministers elected since the previous Chapter, along with their mentors, assemble for an orientation session. This year, Fruge focused on the spirituality of serving the region as minister. She shared with us that she didn’t fully understand servant leadership until she served as Regional Minister. She told us that the experience of being Regional Minister has enhanced her spiritual life.
Fruge encouraged the new ministers with inspiration words about their role as leaders: “A vocation to the office of service is under the mantle of divine protection, and you are given all the graces sufficient to fulfill whatever we are called to do.” Most importantly, she said, “Don’t short change prayer”.
The new ministers and delegates were warmly welcomed in the traditional introduction of the National Executive Council and Commission Chairs at the conclusion of the orientation. The new Ministers and the delegate are:
- Emma Lozowski OFS – Franciscans of the Prairie Region
- Barbara Braley OFS – Our Lady of Indiana Region
- Steve Geldmacher OFS – Saint Clare Region
- Joanne Lockwood OFS – Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Region
- Marianne James OFS – Saint Maximilian Kolbe Region
- Gene Keenan OFS – Tau Cross Region
- Tim Taormina OFS, RVM, delegate for Hazel Martin, OFS – Queen of Peace Region
- Dale Marzano, OFS – delegate for Lorna Miressi, OFS – Mother Cabrini Region